The Morgan Hill Kiwanis was chartered as one of 7,700 clubs in 80 countries in 1952. Our motto is "Serving the Children of the World".
Early in 1952, several local men were contacted by the Exchange Club International, for the purpose of forming a club in Morgan Hill. Before receiving their Charter, it was found out that the Exchange Club would not accept as a member an American of Asian descent. The local members had presented for membership, Paul Yokoi a World War II Veteran of Japanese descent. This man was so loved and respected by the other members that they turned down the proposal by the Exchange Club. Instead, they approached Kiwanis, and more particularly, the Kiwanis Club of Gilroy, California, which became the sponsoring club for the Kiwanis Club of Morgan Hill. Don Chesboro was the President of the Gilroy Kiwanis Club, and Fong Q. Jing, was the Lieutenant Governor of District 12, in which Gilroy and Morgan Hill were both located. Paul Yokoi was elected to the first Board of Directors, and later served several years as Secretary of the Kiwanis Club of Morgan Hill.
Today we are 48 member’s strong and growing.
We do many service activities throughout the year, most widely recognized is the Holiday lights parade, others include the hanging of the flags and banners downtown, maintaining and installation of the holiday snowflakes, annual senior breakfast, support for Cecelia’s Closet, Annual PA Walsh Food Drive, Election day ballot couriers, parking attendants for the Gavilan Kennel Club Dog Show, sponsor and participate in Key Clubs at Live Oak and Ann Sobrato as well as providing contributions to local groups like Brittion’s Robotic Club and their Science Trip, Spirit of Morgan Hill Girls Softball League, Morgan Hill Pony Baseball, Troop 799 Campership, Backpacks for students and the Edward “Boss” Prado foundation to name a few. We also host fund raisers for groups like Dream Power and the Senior Center.